Hatboro Federal Savings, a community bank long recognized for its extraordinary financial strength, was chartered by the Federal Home Loan Bank Board on February 3, 1941, with $25,000 in assets, the minimum requirement at the time. The first mortgage commitment was made on April 17, 1941 in the amount of $4,500 for a house purchased in the Borough of Hatboro.
The community's confidence in the institution's founders allowed Hatboro Federal Savings to grow over the years. Today, Hatboro Federal is one of the healthiest financial institutions in the nation and is consistently awarded the highest rating available, 5 stars, by Bauer Financial, an independent rating institution.
While Hatboro Federal Savings has been instrumental in putting people of our community into their own homes, we did plenty of moving in the early years before settling into the impressive main office we have occupied since 1951. Our first home was at 39 South York Road. On September 10, 1942, we moved to 214 South York Road, then to 121 South York Road in May 1947. Hatboro Federal acquired the John Harrison House at 221 South York Road and renovated the interior and exterior of the historic 1742 structure. When the impressive stone building opened on April 26, 1951, as Hatboro Federal Savings, it became an immediate landmark in the community.
Continued growth of the Hatboro area motivated Hatboro Federal to expand into other communities. The Warminster office, a new structure at 609 York Road, opened March 17, 1960; the Warrington office at Bristol and Easton Roads opened in the renovated 1799 John Barclay house on April 9, 1964.
An extensive addition was built onto the main office and completed in 1978. When we realized we could not salvage the neighboring historic Potts House it acquired at 229 South York Road, Hatboro Federal undertook a historic replication that was completed in 2000; it now houses the loan department. All loans for our customers are submitted in that building.
We opened our fourth branch office at 2523 York Road in Jamison October 19, 2009.
Hatboro Federal Savings believes that a hometown bank is only as safe and healthy as the community it serves. That’s why, for more than seven decades, we have dedicated our resources and considerable energies to helping the communities we serve stay strong and vital.
Many area charitable organizations receive regular and generous financial assistance from Hatboro Federal. Through the Hatboro-Horsham Education Foundation, Hatboro Federal supports grants to teachers for special classroom programs and funds community cultural events that enrich the lives of all our residents, young and old.
Bank staff and officers who are members of Rotary International, the worldwide organization that raises money for community projects and to promote goodwill around the globe, are supported in their efforts by the bank. Hatboro Federal has helped in fundraising for the Hatboro, Warrington, Willow Grove and Horsham Rotaries.
Hatboro Federal Savings is one of the primary contributors to the venerable Union Library of Hatboro. The bank also is a substantial supporter of the Hatboro Area YMCA and Hatboro's beloved winter holiday parade, one of the largest community-based holiday parades in the area.
Hatboro Federal Savings, headquartered in Hatboro, PA, is a PA Bank serving the financial needs of the local communities and the individuals and families residing in Bucks County and Eastern Montgomery County, PA.